Presentations and Book Signings, Glacier National Park, Montana
Join author Christopher White for any of six events featuring “THE MELTING WORLD: A Journey Across America’s Vanishing Glaciers” at Glacier National Park, Montana, during the week of June 21-28, 2014:
• Lake MacDonald Lodge, West Glacier, Saturday, June 21st, 1-4 PM
• St Mary Lodge, Eastside of Park, Monday, June 23rd, Time TBD
• Many Glacier Hotel, Eastside of Park, Tuesday, June 24th, 1-4 PM
• Glacier National Park’s Headquarters (Community Building) in West Glacier on Thursday, June 26th, 12-1 PM (Author Presentation, followed by Belton Depot)
• Glacier National Park Conservancy, Belton Depot, West Glacier, on Thursday, June 26th, 1-4 PM (Book Signing Only)
• Montana House, Apgar Village, Saturday, June 28th, 6 PM Reception & Signing / 7PM Talk)
SPECIAL NATIONAL PARK SERVICE EVENT: “THE MELTING WORLD: A Journey Across America’s Vanishing Glaciers”
Join author Christopher White for a special presentation on “The Melting World” at Glacier National Park’s Headquarters (Community Building) in West Glacier, Montana, on Thursday, June 26, 2014, at 12 to 1 PM.
When author Christopher White first hiked around Glacier National Park in 1976, no one had heard of global warming. The Park boasted 37 pristine alpine glaciers. He imagined them lasting for centuries. Since then, Chris spent five years (2008-2013) with renowned glacier expert Dan Fagre, exploring the fate of mountain glaciers in the Rockies and around the world. In Glacier National Park, out of those 37 icefields only 25 glaciers remain. Forecasts suggest these last glaciers will vanish in as little as ten year’s time, with cascading impacts to wildlife and forests downstream. This intimate event with Chris features excerpts from his book, “The Melting World: A Journey Across America’s Vanishing Glaciers,” and tales of his personal journey to document the impact of America’s vanishing ice.
Christopher White is a science writer and journalist, specializing in narrative nonfiction. He has written four books, including “Skipjack: The Story of America’s Last Sailing Oystermen,” and has written for publications ranging from Audubon to The Baltimore Sun to National Geographic. Chris has a degree in biology from Princeton University and an appetite for mountaineering, with ascents on three continents. He lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
“[In THE MELTING WORLD, a] moving story emerges. It’s a fascinating outdoor adventure, an illuminating look into the science of a melting mountain–and a fresh warning that the warming world is already here.”
–New York Times Book Review (1/12/14)
For more details on Christopher White, “THE MELTING WORLD,” and these events, visit www.christopherwhitebooks.com